The churches of Wolseley boast long and illustrious histories stretching back nearly a century. There are no less than five churches in Wolseley, with four of them boasting strong congregations. Wolseley is home to the New Life Church, St. Anne Roman Catholic Church, St. George Anglican Church, St. James United Church, and the Zion Lutheran Church. Of these, only St. George has been deconsecrated.
New Life Church is the youngest of the churches in Wolseley. It was founded in the mid-1980s in response to the need of a Pentecostal church within the community. The New Life Church is arguably the strongest church in Wolseley, as it plays active roles in planning and hosting community events such as its annual Valentine's Day lecture. It also plays an active part in the youth community, hosting a youth centre and promoting youth music.
St. Anne Roman Catholic Church is the oldest church in Wolseley. The early settlers founded it in the late 1800s, and the current church was built at the turn of the century. It boasts the title of the first church built in Saskatchewan built entirely of brick. To the east of the church is the Grotto to the Blessed Virgin Mary, built out of the stones from and on the site of the former rectory. The church has a very devoted congregation, and has remained strong throughout its long history.
St. James United Church was built in 1906, though the history of the church dates back to 1883. The church is built of bricks from a local brickyard, and community members for club meetings and banquets use the C.E. Building next to it. Like St. Anne, it has maintained a strong congregation, despite strong reforms to the United Church of Canada in the 1980s.
The history of the Zion Lutheran Church dates back to 1901 when the first Lutheran congregation was organized. It also maintains a strong congregation.
St. George Anglican Church dates back to 1900 when construction first began on the church. However, the congregation itself dates back to 1885. The church, unfortunately, was desconsecrated in the early part of the 21st Century and is now a private residence.
Dr. Isman Elementary School
Dr. Isman Elementary School was opened in 1964, and has consistently offered quality education from Kindergarten through Grade 6. Its roots stretch back to 1883 when the first public school was organized with a single teacher.
Since the opening of the current school in 1964, the building, and the staff has gone through many changes. In 1984, a gymnasium and Development Centre was added onto the school. The Development Centre gave children with disabilities a place where they could be educated without feeling overwhelmed. Sadly, the centre has since been removed from Wolseley. It has recently been replaced with Prairie Valley School Division's Professional Development Centre, offering a space for the Division's various committees and staff members a central location to meet at, as well as a small library of teaching materials.
On average, Dr. Isman Elementary School has a student enrollment of about 120 students each year. Its staff, headed by Principal Tim Taylor (who will have served the position for 20 years in 2010) more than adequately prepares its children for middle school and high school.
Dr. Isman's traditional Christmas Concert has become a staples of Wolseley living. In December, just before the students go on Christmas Break, the entire school puts on a wonderful live even that showcases the entire school engaged in singing, acting, and in the general Christmas spirit. It is an event well attended by both parents and other community members alike, and it is not rare to find both the walls and chairs full.
Wolseley High School
The current Wolseley High School was built in 1961, however, the history of education in Wolseley dates back to 1883, with Dr. Isman Elementary School. Wolseley High School has come a long way since then, and the building of the current school marked a new era for education in Wolseley.
The building has six classrooms, a science lab, a computer lab, gymnasium, and a library, all of which offer a high quality and thorough education to its students.
Wolseley High School teaches Grade 7 through 12, and supports the communities of both Wolseley and Glenavon, and offers a full range of required and elective classes to its student body, consisting of approximately 150 students. The staff prepares its students for life after high school, with a large percentage of the student body landing on the Honour Roll.
Apart from academics, Wolseley High School sports large and sustained athletics and arts programs. Wolseley High School has had students competing at the provincial level in volleyball, basketball, track and field, badminton, golf, and drama, to name a few. Every year, the drama club also puts on a dinner theatre for the community.
A unique feature of Wolseley High School is its murals. Down both sides of the main hallway are five murals depicting each decade from the 1960s to the 1990s. These represent Wolseley High School's connection to the past, and its ability to grow and change throughout the years.
Not only does Wolseley have the oldest existing court building in Saskatchewan, but it is also home to what many believe to be Saskatchewan's oldest public library to be in continuous service to a community. The library dates back as far as 1893, beginning as the "Farmer's Institute" or "Wolseley Mechanics Institute". Like its name suggests, many of the material available pertained to agriculture and how to improve farming methods.
Between the years 1893 and 1906, Wolseley Library did not have a permant home. However, with the completion of the Town Hall/Opera House in 1906, the library was moved there, and stayed there for over 80 years. It was moved in 1989 when renovations began on the Town Hall/Opera House. It is currently located in the same building as the Rural Municipal office.
The library maintained its independence as a local, self-supporting library until 1997, long after the first regional libraries were formed. In the opinion of the Provincial Librarian, Wolseley had one of the best small-town libraries in Saskatchewan, and thus, stayed out of the regional system until the Town and Rural Municipality of Wolseley decide to join the Southeast Regional Library.
Over the years, the material available expanded to include fiction, non-fiction, magazines, videos, audio books, pamphlets, and various other reference material. It is open year round, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Wolseley Memorial Union Hospital
After World War II, Wolseley and District wished to have a suitable lasting memorial to honor their dead. To do this, it was decided that a hospital would be built and it would be called the Wolseley Memorial Union Hospital. It exists as the result of a dream and hard work of many people.
On July 3, 1947, the Wolseley Memorial Union Hospital admitted its first patient, Mrs. Tom Fleming. The first baby born was a son to Mr. and Mrs. Duff Taylor.
In 1969 renovations to the tune of $23,500 made several major improvements to the hospital. All wards were moved to the top floor and lab, X-ray, emergency treatment room plus administrative facilities were re-located to the basement.
In 1979-80 a third extension added a total of 4,090 square feet to the two floors and again to the north. Due to inflated prices the cost this time was $330,000 over seven times the cost of the originial structure. Outpatient services have become an important part of the hospital obiligations now with as many as 400 outpatient being seen some months.
Wolseley First Responders
The Wolseley and District Medical First Responders is a volunteer organization formed in February of 1990. Mike Lang of Indian Head Ambulance instructed the forty hour certificate course, with a two year re-certification requirement as required by Saskatchewan Health and The Saskatchewan College of Paramedics. Two of the original team still remain - Diane Banbury and Karen Souchotte.
The First Responders are trained individuals with knowledge and skills to respond to situations that arise in our community. These individuals respond first to patients who are ill, or in accidents or multiple casuality. When the ambulance arrives, they also assist the EMS personnel.
The First Responders cover the Town of Wolseley and its R.M. and section of Hwy #1 between Grenfell and Sintulata. The MFR team with JT Ambulance or IH Ambulance and Indian Head and the Wolseley Fire Department. Assistance to Glenavon and Candiac if requested.
The team is equipped with an AED (automated external defibrillor); as well as a full scope of equipment including Blood Glucose monitor; Pulse oximetry monitor, spinal equipment, etc.
Skills and Certificates:
Karen Souchotte - CPR and AED Instructor; PART Certificate; TLR Instructor
Diane Banbury - CPR, AED Instructor, First Aid Instructor, EMO, PART, Critical Incident and Stress Management
Kim Baran - CPR, AED Instructor, PART Certificate
Pam Bigg - Critical Incident and Stress Management, EMO, CPR C and AED
Frank Schneider - Critical Incident and Stress Management, EMO, CPR C and AED
Steve Bonnor - CPR C and AED
Joanne Bonnor - CPR C and AED
Deanne Weinzierl - CPR C, PART Certificate and AED
Contact or for more information: Frank Schneider 306-698-7667.
Apr.25.2017 ~ May.3.2017
Notice of Public Open House-Broadview Mine Project